Friday 21 February 2014

Foody Fridays: Carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese icing

I wanted to bake something different this week that I like but have never even thought about attempting and I decided to go with a carrot cake I was going to make a whole cake but as I'm the only one in my house that eats it and me and Ethan had already made cupcakes on Wednesday so we have a tray full of sprinkle filled butterfly buns to get through! I decided to opt for cupcakes instead as I could make less so they wouldn't get wasted and I could give some away. I used enough ingredients for 12 cupcakes but will put the ingredients down below for 24 and if you want to make less just half the measurements.

Ingredients you will need
125g Flour
1tsp Ground cinnamon
200g Caster sugar
175g vegetable oil
175g Carrots
120g Chopped walnuts
24 Whole walnuts
115g Cream cheese
55g Butter
225g Icing sugar
1tsp Vanilla extract

Utensils you will need
Bowls
Whisk
Spoons
Piping bag
24 Cupcake cases
Cupcake tin
Grater

Oven on 180c and 15-20 minutes to cook.


To start off I put the cupcake cases in my tin ready for when the batter was ready. and pre-heated the oven to 180c.


 In a large mixing bowl I added the flour, sugar and cinnamon and gave it a little stir with a spoon until it was all combined.





Then once the dry ingredients were combined I added the oil and eggs and then whisking it on a medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.



Next taking the carrots I finely grated them and then added them to the whisked batter along with the chopped walnuts and whisked again on a high speed for 3 minutes or until all the ingredients were all combined.




Once the batter was made I spooned a table spoon of mixture into each case and put in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.

 

Whilst my cupcakes were cooking I made the cream cheese icing. I creamed the butter and the cream cheese together with a whisk on a low speed and then poured in the icing sugar and the teaspoon of vanilla extract and whisked on a medium speed for a further 2 minutes.


 
 

Once my cakes were cooked I took them out of the oven and put them on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes, I made sure they were completely cool so the icing didn't melt and run when applied. 

I prepared my piping bag by popping it in a glass and folding over the top so it was stable to pour the icing into, Once the icing was in the piping bag I twisted the top so the icing wouldn't squeeze out of the top then piped the icing on top of the cooled cupcakes and decorated with a whole walnut on each cake.



And the cakes were ready to eat straight away!
 
 
I was so happy with these cupcakes, I wasn't to sure how they were going to taste but I was pleasantly surprised as they were lovely and I will definitely be making more carrot cake creations in the future and the cream cheese icing is my new favourite icing it was delicious and went really well with the carrot cake!

I hope you have fun making these yummy carrot cake cupcakes if you decide to give it a go I would love to see your creations so tweet me @hannahnicolab or Instagram me a picture using #hannahnhearts

Also if you have any requests for next weeks Foody Friday leave me a comment and let me know.

Thanks for reading
Hannah
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment