Friday 14 February 2014

Foody fridays : chocolate macaroons

This weeks foody Friday I'm going to be making chocolate macaroons, I have wanted to make them for so long but always thought they were really hard to make and take a lot of time but after looking up the ingredients and how to make them it actually looks quite easy so I decided to give it a go!
 
Ingredients you will need:
100g Icing sugar
1tbsp Coco powder
100g Ground almonds
2 Medium free range egg whites
Small pinch of salt
55g Caster sugar
55g Milk chocolate
2 tsp Double cream slightly warm
 
Equitment you will need:
Piping bag
Parchment paper
Baking tray
 Bowls
 Spoons
2 Sheets of paper
Sticky tape
Pen
Scissors
A round shape to draw round about 2.5 inches (I used a tea light candle)
 
Oven 180 degrees  Cooking time 15-20 minutes
 
 
 
First I made my template of how big the macaroons should be on the tray, I just simply drew round my circle shape in my case I used a tea light then cut round the sheets of paper so they would fit in my tray next taking the parchment paper I cut it to shape and placed it over my paper guide. on the back I of each paper guide I taped a strip of paper on each so when it came to taking them out before cooking it was easy to pull each piece out without making the mixture run all over the parchment paper. 
 
 
This is how my tray looked.
 
 
To make the mixture I sieved the icing sugar, coco powder and ground almonds into a large bowl and mixed until it was all combined.
 
 
 
Now taking another bowl and adding the two egg whites I whisked them until they formed soft peaks, then adding the caster sugar until the mixture was thick and shinny.
 
 
 
I then gradually added the icing sugar, coco powder and almond mixture and gently folded it in until it was all combined.
 
 
Once the two mixtures where combined I transferred it into my piping bag and piped mixture onto the tray making sure It stayed in the outline of the guide I place underneath the parchment paper.
 
 
 What my tray looked like after I had piped all the mixture onto it.
I placed the tray in the oven for 15 minutes, opening the oven door a couple of times to let any steam out. 
 
 
 Once the macaroons had cooked I slid the parchment paper with the macaroons on off the tray and let them cool whilst I made the filling.
 
 
To make the filling I melted the chocolate in a bowl over a sauce pan of simmering hot water, once it had melted I transferred the chocolate to another small bowl and added the cream and stirred until it was smooth and thick enough to spread. 
 
 
Once the macaroons where cool I paired two of similar sizes together so it was easier to just pick two up and add the filling.
 
 
 I placed the filling on the bottom on one of the macaroons in the pair not spreading it all the way to the edge as when the other one went on top it pushed it out to the edges.
I continued to do this to all the macaroons and then placed them in the fridge for an hour for the filling to cool down and the two sides to stick together.
 
 
 
 
 
 I was shocked at how quick and easy these were to make and how delicious they were I will definitely be making more of these in the future and maybe even braving to experiment in different flavours! 
 
 
Someone else seemed to enjoy them his words were "mummy these are delicious"
 
If you decide to try and make these delicious macaroons I would love to see tweet me your pictures to @hannahnicolab or Instagram me a picture using #hannahnhearts
 
Thanks for reading
Hannah
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment